Since 01/2007 Professor in Soil Science and Agro-ecology, School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University.
04/2009 - 10/2009 Visiting Dep. of Agroecosystem Research, University of Bayreuth, and Soil Science, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany. Hosted by Prof. Yakov Kuzyakov and Prof. Georg Guggenberger.
02/2005 - 02/2006 Visiting Scholar, Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, School of Geography and Earth Sciences, the University of Western Australia. Hosted by Professor Zed Rengel.
06/2002 - 12/2006 Professor in Soil Science, Department of Agricultural Resources & Environmental Sciences, Gansu Agricultural University.
11/1997 - 05/2002 Associate Professor in Soil Science, Department of Agricultural Resources & Environment, Gansu Agricultural University.
07/1984 - 10/1997 Lecturer in Soil Science, Department of Agricultural Resources & Environmental Sciences, Gansu Agricultural University.
07/1983 - 06/1984 Teaching assistant in Soil Science, Department of Agricultural Resources & Environmental Sciences, Gansu Agricultural University.
- Academic Appointments
09/1998 - 06/2001 Doctoral degree, Crops and farming at Gansu Agricultural University, China.
10/1979 - 06/1983 Bachelor degree, Agronomy at Gansu Agricultural University, China.
- Administrative Appointments
- Honors & Awards
First authored and corresponded (*) publications:
- Qiu-Jin Ma, Xiao Gang Li*, Wen-Yuan Song, Bin Jia, Qian Zhang, Limei Lin, Feng-Min Li, 2018. Plastic-film mulch and fertilization rate affect the fate of urea-15N in maize production. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 112, 403-416.
- Xiao Ming Mou, Xiao Gang Li*, Ningning Zhao, Ying Wen Yu, Yakov Kuzyakov, 2018. Tibetan sedges sequester more carbon belowground than grasses: a 13C labeling study. Plant and Soil 426,278-298.
- Zhen-Huan Guan, Xiao Gang Li*, Lin Wang, Xiao Ming Mou, Yakov Kuzyakov, 2018. Conversion of Tibetan grasslands to croplands decreases accumulation of microbially synthesized compounds in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 123, 10–20.
- Zhen-Huan Guan, Xiao Gang Li*, Lin Wang, 2018. Heavy metal enrichment in roadside soils in the eastern Tibetan Plateau. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 25, 7625–7637.
- Lin Wang, Xiao Gang Li*, Zhen-Huan Guan, Bin Jia, Neil C. Turner, Feng-Min Li, 2018. The effects of plastic-film mulch on the grain yield and root biomass of maize vary with cultivar in a cold semiarid environment. Field Crops Research 216, 89–99.
- Xiao Gang Li*, Bin Jia, Jieting Lv, Qiujin Ma, Yakov Kuzyakov, Feng-min Li， 2017. Nitrogen fertilization decreases the decomposition of soil organic matter and plant residues in planted soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 112, 47–55.
- Lin Wang, Xiao Gang Li*, Jieting Lv, Taotao Fu, Qiujin Ma, Wenyuan Song, Yong Peng Wang, Feng-Min Li, 2017. Continuous plastic-film mulching increases soil aggregation but decreases soil pH in semiarid areas of China. Soil and Tillage Research 167, 46–53.
- Ningning Zhao, Xiao Gang Li*, 2017. Effects of aspect–vegetation complex on soil nitrogen mineralization and microbial activity on the Tibetan Plateau. Catena 155, 1–9.
- Jun Ling He, Xiao Gang Li*, 2016. Potentilla fruticosa has a greater capacity to translocate phosphorus from the lower to upper soils than herbaceous grasses in an alpine meadow. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 228, 19-29.
- Yong Peng Wang, Xiao Gang Li*,Jing Zhu, Cheng Yun Fan, Xue Jing Kong, Neil C. Turner, Kadambot H.M., Siddique, Feng-Min Li, 2016.Multi-site asessment of the effects of plastic-film mulch on dry land maize productivity in semiarid areas in China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 220, 160-169.
- Yong Peng Wang, Xiao Gang Li*, Taotao Fu, Lin Wang, Neil C. Turner, Kadambot H.M. Siddique, Feng-Min Li, 2016. Multi-site assessment of the effects of plastic-film mulch on the soil organic carbon balance in semiarid areas of China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 228-229, 42-51.
- Xiao-E Liu, Xiao Gang Li*, Rui-Ying Guo, Yakov Kuzyakov, Feng-Min Li. 2015.The effect of plastic mulch on the fate of urea-N in rain-fed maize production in a semiarid environment as assessed by 15N-labeling. European Journal of Agronomy 70: 71–77.
- Long Hai, Xiao Gang Li*, Xiao-E Liu, Xiao Jin Jiang, Rui Ying Guo, Gao Bo Jing, Zed Rengel, Feng-Min Li. 2015. Plastic mulch stimulates nitrogen mineralization in urea-Amended soils in a semiarid environment. Agronomy Journal 107:921–930.
- Xiaojin Jiang, Xiao Gang Li*. 2015. Assessing the effects of plastic film fully mulched ridge–furrow on rainwater distribution in soil using dye tracer and simulated rainfall. Soil and Tillage Research 152: 67–73.
- Xiaojin Jiang, Xiaoe Liu, Enheng Wang, Xiao Gang Li*, Rui Sun, Wenjing Shi. 2015. Effects of tillage pan on soil water distribution in alfalfa-corn crop rotation systems using a dye tracer and geostatistical methods. Soil and Tillage Research 150: 68–77.
- Lin Qi, Xiaoliang Qin, Feng-Min Li, Kadambot H.M. Siddique, Helmut Brandl, Jinzhang Xu, Xiaogang Li*. 2015. Uptake and distribution of stable strontium in 26 cultivars of three crop Species: oats, wheat, and barley for their potential use in phytoremediation. International Journal of Phytoremediation, 17: 264–271.
- Xiao E Liu, Xiao Gang Li*, Long Hai, Yong Peng Wang, Feng Min Li, 2014. How efficient is film fully-mulched ridge–furrow cropping to conserve rainfall in soil at a rainfed site? Field Crops Research 169: 107–115.
- Xiao-E. Liu, Xiao Gang Li*, Long Hai, Yong Peng Wang,Tao-Tao Fu, Neil C. Turner, Feng Min Li, 2014. Film-mulched ridge–furrow management increases maize productivity and sustains soil organic carbon in a dryland cropping system. Soil Science Society of America Journal 78:1434–1441.
- Ning-Ning Zhao, Georg Guggenberger, Olga Shibistova, Dao Thi Thao, Wen Jing Shi, Xiao Gang Li*, 2014. Aspect-vegetation complex effects on biochemical characteristics and decomposability of soil organic carbon on the eastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Plant and Soil 384:289–301.
- Yong Peng Wang, Xiao Gang Li*, Long Hai, Kadambot H. M. Siddique, Yantai Gan & Feng Min Li. 2014. Film fully-mulched ridge-furrow cropping affects soil biochemical properties and maize nutrient uptake in a rainfed semi-arid environment, Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 60 (4): 486-498.
- Zhuo Ting Li, Xiao Gang Li*, J.Y. Yang, Neil C. Turner, Xiao Ying Wang, Feng Min Li. 2013. County-scale changes in soil organic carbon of croplands in southeastern Gansu Province of China from the 1980s to the mid-2000s. Soil Science Society of America Journal 77:2111–2121.
- Xiao Gang Li*, Zhao Ming Chen, Xiao Hang Li, Qifu Ma, Yu Lin Ma. 2013. Chemical Characteristics of Physically Separated Soil Organic Matter Fractions in Contrasting Arable Soils. Soil Science 178: 128–137.
- Xiao-Ming Shi, Xiao Gang Li*, Chun Tao Li, Yu Zhao, Zhan Huan Shang, Qifu Ma. 2013. Grazing exclusion decreases soil organic C storage at an alpine grassland of the Qinghai–Tibetan Plateau. Ecological Engineering 57: 183–187.
- Sheng-Zhe E, Xiao-Gang Li*, Wei Zhou, De-Jian Wang, Jian-Rong Song, Georg Guggenberger. 2012. Long-term fertilization and manuring effects on physically separated soil organic matter pools under continuous wheat cropping at a rainfed semiarid site of China. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science. 175: 689-697.
- Xiao-Gang Li*, Xiao-Ming Shi, De-Jian Wang, Wei Zhou, 2012. Effect of alkalized magnesic salinity on soil respiration changes with substrate availability and incubation time. Biology and Fertility of Soils. 48: 597-602, 2012.
- Xiao-Ming Shi, Xiao-Gang Li*, Rong-Mei Wu, Yun-Hui Yang, Rui-Jun Long. 2011. Changes in soil biochemical properties associated with Ligularia virgaurea spreading in grazed alpine meadows. Plant and Soil, 347: 65–78.
- Long Hai, Xiao Gang Li*, Feng Min Li, Dong Rang Suo, Georg Guggenberger, 2010. Long-term fertilization and manuring effects on physically-separated soil organic matter pools under a wheat-wheat-maize cropping system in an arid region of China. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 42(2): 253–259.
- Xiao Ming Shi, Xiao Gang Li*, Rui Jun Long, Bhupinder Pal Singh, Zhuo Ting Li, Feng Min Li, 2010. Dynamics of soil organic carbon and nitrogen associated with physically separated fractions in a grassland-cultivation sequence in the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Biology and Fertility of Soils 46：103–111.
- Xiao Gang Li*, Mei Lan Zhang, Zhuo Ting Li, Xiao Ming Shi, Qifu Ma, Rui Jun Long, 2009. Dynamics of soil properties and organic carbon pool in topsoil of zokor-made mounds at an alpine site of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Biology and Fertility of Soils 45: 865–872.
- Xiao Gang Li*, Yin Ke Li, Feng Min Li, Qifu Ma, Ping Liang Zhang, Ping Yin, 2009. Changes in soil organic carbon, nutrients and aggregation after conversion of native desert soil to irrigated arable land. Soil and Tillage Research 104：263–269.
- Xiao Gang Li*, Ping Liang Zhang, Qi Fu Ma, Feng Min Li, Rui Jun Long, 2009. Soil organic carbon and nitrogen fractions and water-stable aggregation as affected by cultivation and grassland reclamation in arid sub-alpine soil. Land Degradation and Development 20：176–186.
- Xiao-gang Li*, Zed Rengel, Emmanuel Mapfumo, Bhupinderpal Singh, 2007. Increase in pH stimulates mineralization of “native” organic carbon and nitrogen in naturally salt-affected sandy soils. Plant and Soil, 290: 269–282.
- Xiao-gang Li*, Feng-min Li, Rengel Zed, Zhan Zheng-Yan, Bhupinderpal Singh, 2007. Soil physical properties and their relations to organic carbon pools as affected by land use in an alpine pastureland. Geoderma, 139, 98–105.
- Xiao-Gang Li*, Zhe-Feng Wang, Qi-Fu Ma, Feng-Min Li, 2007. Crop cultivation and intensive grazing affect organic carbon pools and aggregate stability in arid grassland soil. Soil and Tillage Research, 95: 172–181.
- Xiao-gang Li, Feng-min Li*, Bhupinderpal Singh, Rengel Zed and Zhan Zheng-Yan. 2007. Soil management changes organic carbon pools in alpine pastureland soils. Soil and Tillage Research. 93: 186–196.
- Xiaogang Li, Fengmin Li*, Qifu Ma, Zhijun Cui, 2006. Interactions of NaCl and Na2SO4 on soil organic C mineralization after addition of maize straws. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 38: 2328–2335.
- Xiao-Gang Li*, Feng-Min Li, Zed Rengel, Bhupinderpal-Singh and Zhe-Feng Wang, 2006. Cultivation effects on temporal changes of organic carbon and aggregate stability in desert soils of Hexi Corridor region in China. Soil and Tillage Research, 91: 22–29.
- Xiaogang Li*, Fengmin Li, Bhupinderpal Singh, Zhijun Cui, Zed Rengel, 2006. Decomposition of maize straw in saline soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 42: 366–370.