Key Laboratory of Arid and Grassland Agroecology, School of Life Science Lanzhou University, Research work on plant hydraulic conductivity in response to water deficit.
Department of Biology, Duke University, Research work on flower colour.
MOE Key Laboratory of Arid and Grassland Agroecology, Lanzhou University. Teaching undergraduate courses and supervising postgraduate students. Research work on root signal differentiation and evolution on water use efficiency in species of genus Caragana.
Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture, M080, The University of Western Australia. Research work on chickpea responses to water deficit.
MOE Key Laboratory of Arid and Grassland Agroecology, Lanzhou University. Research included analyzing phytohormone regulation, carbohydrate metabolism, root signal (ABA) regulating leaf stomata, evolutionary strategies of Caragana species in response to water deficit. Supervising degree examinations and teaching undergraduate courses.
- Academic Appointments
Doctor of Philosophy (Plant Eco-physiology, Conferred 2006) Lanzhou University Lanzhou, Gansu Province The People’s Republic of China.
Masters of Science (Forest Ecology, Conferred 2003) Gansu Agricultural University Lanzhou, Gansu Province The People’s Republic of China.
Bachelor of Sciences (Forest Ecology, Conferred 2000) Gansu Agricultural University Lanzhou, Gansu Province The People’s Republic of China.
- Administrative Appointments
- Honors & Awards
Distinguished Professor– Feitian Project (2016)
Outstanding Youth Foundation–National Natural Science Foundation(2014)
Winner New Century Excellent Talents Supporting Plan–Chinese Education Ministry (2011)
The Best Report – Awarded by 2nd international workshop on Ecosystem Assessment and Management (EAM), Lanzhou, China (2010)
Endeavour Research Scholarship – Awarded by Australian Government Department of Education, Science & Training, Australia (2008-2009)
2017-2020 NSFC: Stomatal regulation, behavior and water use strategies of angiosperm species to adapt to precipitation allocation patters of the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region and north Xinjiang Province
2015-2017 NSFC: Plant water relations
2010-2013 NSFC: Root signal differentiation in geographical substitute species of genus Caragana (As Chief Investigator with Prof. Jario Palta & Prof. Neil Turner)
2008-2011 NSFC: Responses of Caragana korshinskii Kom. to aboveground tissue removal: eco-physiological mechanisms underlying the compensation (As Chief Investigator with Dr. Neil Turner).
2010 Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities: Caragana species adataptation to water deficit: (As Chief Investigator with A/Prof. Fengmin Li).
2008-2009 Australian Government Department of Education: Flower and pod production and abortion in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under terminal drought. (As Associate Investigator with Prof. Neil Turner, Prof Kadambot H.M. Siddique, A/Prof. Guijun Yan).
2004-2007 NKBRSF: Responses of Caragana korshinskii Kom. to above- ground shoot clipping: mechanisms underlying regrowth – (Chief Investigator)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers
- Fang XW, Zhang JJ, Xu DH, Pang J, Gap TP, Zhang CH, Li FM. Turner NC. 2017. Seed germination of Caragana species from different regions is strongly driven by environmental cues and not phylogenetic signals. Scientific Reports 7:11248
- Xu DH, Wang W, Gao T, Fang X, Gao X, Li J, Bu H, Mu J. 2017. Calcium alleviates decreases in photosynthesis under salt stress by enhancing antioxidant metabolism and adjusting solute accumulation in Calligonum mongolicum. Conservation Physiology 5(1): cox060; doi:10.1093/conphys/cox060.
- Jin He, Yan-Lei Du, Tao Wang, Neil C. Turner, Fang XW, Li FM. 2016. Conserved water use improves the yield performance of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.) under drought. Agricultural Water Management, 179, 236-245.
- Gao TP, Guo R, Fang XW, Zhao ZG,Chang GH, Chen YQ, Qing Zhang. 2016. Effects on antioxidant enzyme activities and osmolytes in Halocnemum strobilaceum under salt stress. Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions 8(1): 65–71.
- Xu DH, Fang XW, Zhang RY, Gao TP, Bu HY, Du GZ. 2015. Influences of nitrogen, phosphorus and silicon addition on plant productivity and species richness in an alpine meadow. AOB PLANTS DOI:10.1093/aobpla/plv125
- Xu DH, Li HL, Fang XW, Li JH, Bu HY, Zhang WP, Wang JJ, Si XL. 2015. Responses of Plant Community Composition and Eco-Physiological Characteristics of Dominant Species to Different Soil Hydrologic Regimes in Alpine Marsh Wetlands on Qinghai–Tibetan Plateau, China. Wetlands 35:381-390
- Fang XW, Turner NC, PaltaJ A, Yu MX, Gao TP, Li FM. 2014. The distribution of four Caragana species is related to their differential responses to drought stress. Plant Ecology 215:133-142.
- Fang XW, Turner NC, Xu DH, Jin Y, He J, Li FM. 2013. Limits to the height growth of Caragana korshinskii resprouts. Tree Physiology 33:275-284.
- Fang XW, Turner NC, , Li FM, Siddique KHM. An early transient water deficit reduces flower number and pod production but increases seed size in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Crop and pasture Science 62:481-487.
- Fang XW, Turner NC, Yan GJ, Li FM, Siddique KHM. 2010. Flower numbers, pod production, pollen viability, and pistil function are reduced and flower and pod abortion increased in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) under terminal drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 61:335-345.
- Fan XW, Li FM, Song L, Xiong YC, An LZ, Jia Y, Fang XW. 2009. Defense strategy of old and modern spring wheat varieties during soil drying. Physiologia Plantarum 136: 310–323.
- Shang ZH, Guo XS, Fang XW, Long RJ. 2009. Spectroscopy Technique and Ruminant Methane Emissions Accurate Inspecting. Spectroscopy and Spectral Analysis, 29:740-744.
- Fang XW, Li JH, Xiong YC, Xu DH, Fan XW, Li FM. 2008. Responses of Caragana korshinskii Kom. to clear shoot removal: mechanisms underlying regrowth. Ecological Research, 23:863-871.
- Xu DH, Li JH, Fang XW, Wang G, Xu PX. 2008. Photosynthetic activity of poikilochlorophyllous desiccation tolerant plant Reaumuria soongorica during dehydration and re-hydration. Photosynthetic, 46: 547-551.
- Fang XW, Li YB, Xu DH, Yang XM, Wang G. 2007. Activities of starch hydrolytic enzymes and starch mobilization in roots of Caragana korshinskii following aboveground partial shoot removal. Trees, 21:93-100.
- Fang XW，Wang XZ, Chen K, Li H, Wang G. 2006. Responses of Caragana korshinskii to aboveground partial shoot removal: combining defence and tolerance strategies. Annals of Botany, 98:203-211.
- Li JH，Fang XW，Jia JJ，Wang G. 2007. Effect of legume species introduction to early abandoned field on vegetation development. Plant Ecology, 191: 1-9.
- Xu DH, Li JH, Fang XW, Wang G. 2007. Changes pattern of soil water content in the rhizosphere of Artemisia ordosica: evidence for hydraulic lift. Journal of Arid Environments, 69:545-553.
- Chen K, Kang HM, Fang XW, Wang G. 2007. The relationship between the virtual dynamic thinning line and the self-thinning boundary line in simulated plant populations. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 50:280-290.
- Fang XW, Yuan JL, Wang G, Zhao ZG. 2006. Fruit production of shrub, Caragana korshinskii, following above-ground partial shoot removal: mechanisms underlying compensation. Plant Ecology, 187: 213-225.
- Yang XM, Cao ZY, An LZ, Wang YM, Fang XW. 2006. In vitro tetraploid induction via colchicine treatment from diploid somatic embryos in grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.). Euphytica, 152: 217-224.
Invited Speaker at Symposia/Conferences
- Fang XW, Turner NC, Li FM. 2013. 11th International Conference on Drylands Development, Baijing, China.
- Fang XW, 2010. Compensatory growth of shrub, Caragana korshinskii, following damage. 2nd international workshop on Ecosystem Assessment and Management (EAM), Lanzhou, China.
- Fang XW, Turner NC. 2009. Flower and pod production and abortion in two chickpea cultivars under terminal drought. Interdrought III. Shanghai, China
- Fang XW, LI FM. 2007. Crop- alfalfa rotation in loess plateau: Challenges and opportunities. Lanzhou University -Yale University Forum in Ecology, Lanzhou, China.
- Fang XW, Li FM. 2006. Activities of starch hydrolytic enzymes and starch mobilization in roots of Caragana korshinskii after shoot removal. 1st international workshop on Ecosystem Assessment and Management (EAM), Lanzhou, China.