Professor, Lanzhou University (2015-)
Visiting Scholar, University of Adelaide, Australia (2011-2012)
Associate professor, Lanzhou University (2009-2015)
Postdoctoral, Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academic Sciences (2008-2012)
Lecturer, Lanzhou University (2006-2009)
- Academic Appointments
PhD, Ecology and Rangeland Management, Gansu Agricultural University, 2003-2006.
MS, Biodiversity and Grassland Ecology, Ningxia University, 2000-2003.
AB, Rangeland Science, Gansu Agricultural University, 1996-2000.
- Administrative Appointments
Membership, Eurasian Dry Grassland Group (EDGG) (2018-)
Guest researcher, Qinghai Provincial Key Laboratory of Restoration ecology of cold area (2017-2022)
Guest researcher, Qinghai Academy of Animal and Veterinary Science (2017-2022)
Membership, Commission on Ecosystem Management-IUCN (2017-2020)
Guest editor (4/4), Special issue in Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment (Enhancing the ecological services of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau’s grasslands through sustainable restoration and management in era of global change) (2019)
Guest editor (2/6), Special issue in Plant Soil (Above-and below-ground interactions on the roof of the world) (2019)
Membership, Global Forum on Food Security and Nutrition-FAO (FAO-FSN) (2017-)
General Secretary, 4th International Conference on Sustainable Animal Agriculture for Developing Countries (SAADC 2013)
Editor, Journal of Rangeland Science (2012-)
Co-supervisor for PhD, Environmental Science, Tribhuvan University, Nepal (2011-2015)
Technical consultant assistant, WB/GEF Gansu-Xinjiang project (2007-2009)
Environmental expert, GEF wetland project in Zoige wetland (2007-2008)
Membership, The China Society on Tibet Plateau (2007-)
Membership, Chinese Grassland Society (2007-)
Member of a council, Young scientist group, Chinese Grassland Society (2007-)
- Honors & Awards
New century excellent talents in university by MOE (2013)
First class of Qinghai prize for progress in science and technology (5/10)(2017)
Outstanding contributions award of organization, IGC/IRC Congress (2008)
Excellent PhD thesis, Gansu Agriculture University (2006)
Third class of Gansu young scientific and technological innovation (2006)
Second Wang Dong scholarship of grassland science
(1) The project of the national natural foundation of China: The ecological mechanism of plant community succession’s synestia stratification-differentiation of ‘bare soil land’ based-sown grassland and its adaptive regulation on Tibetan plateau. (No. 31870433, 2019-2022, chief researcher)
(2) The project of the national natural foundation of China: The hydrothemic-hole’s ecological effect of the bare patch in the ‘bare land’ degraded meadow and this accelerative mechanism of grassland deteriorating on Tibetan plateau. (No. 41671508, 2017-2020, chief researcher)
(3) The project of the national natural foundation of China: The underground-ecological process of and inter-driving-mechanism of secondary emergency of ‘bare-land’ degraded grassland in headwater area of three rivers on Tibetan plateau. (No. 41171417, 2012-2015, chief researcher)
(4) The project of the national natural foundation of China: Studies on process and interior drive mechanism of formation about secondary weed vegetation of ‘Black Soil Patch’ degraded grassland in the headwater of Yangtze and Yellow rivers, Tibetan Plateau. (No. 30600426, 2007-2009, chief researcher)
(5) Qinghai Key R&D and transformation program: Rangeland grazing system’s functional optimization and its expert system development/application on Tibetan plateau. (No. 2017-NK-149-2, 2018-2020, Chief researcher)
(6) The second stage’s research and technique extending project of Sanjiangyuan ecological protection and building of 2017 in Qinghai: Restoring technique’s model, effect and regional adaptation evaluation. (No. 2017-S-1-06; 2017-2019, chief researcher)
(7) Belt and Road special project of Lanzhou University: Rangeland carbon management and livelihood development in the region of Belt and Road. (No. 2018ldbryb023, 2018-2019, chief researcher)
(8) Gansu science and technology supporting program (international joint project): Innovation capacity building between Gansu province and ICIMOD for the scientific and technological cooperation. (No. 1604WKCA014, 2016-2018, chief researcher)
(9) Gansu grassland science-innovative alliance’s S&T program: Grassland science platform system development in Gansu province. (No. GCLM2016004, 2016-2017, chief researcher)
(10) Qinghai science and technology supporting program: Alpine meadow’s classification and dynamics’ monitoring technical system. (No. 2013‐N‐146‐4, 2013-2015, chief researcher)
(11) Gansu major special S&T program: Feed traits of sweet sorghum and its safe and efficient application in the cow, sheep industry. (No. 1502NKDA005-3, 2015-2017, chief researcher)
(12) Himalayan university consortium (HUC) seed grant: Collaborative research of innovating social‐carbon‐stoichiometry method to comparing the different indigenous peoples’ contribution for mitigating the global warming in Himalaya mountain region. (2015-2016, chief researcher)
(13) Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University: Artificial disturbance for adjusting the self-restoration of ‘bare-land’ degraded grassland and its ecological mechanism. (No. NCET-13-0261, 2013-2016, chief researcher)
(14) The twelfth five-Year national key technology R&D program: Integrated conservation for biodiversity and sustainable utilization in alpine rangeland—Restoring Technology in degraded habitat. (No. 2012BAC01B02-3, 2012-2014, chief researcher)
(15) Fundamental research funds for the central universities: The effect of weedification and Control on Soil organic carbon of alpine meadow in Qilian Mountain (No. lzujbky-2010-7, 2010-2011, chief researcher)
(16) The project of youth cross-science foundation of Lanzhou University: The allelopathy effect of several weeds in ‘Black soil land’ on Pedicularis kansuensis and chemometrics analysis. (No. LZUJC2007008, 2008-2010, chief researcher)
(17) The project of the Chinese post-doctor foundation (45th): Diversity of the 'black soil patch' s origins and forming routes in Tibetan Plateau. (No.20090460540, 2009-2011, chief researcher)
(18) The project of the national natural foundation of China: Alpine meadow degraded process and control mechanism in three rivers sources in Tibetan. (No. 30730069, 2008-2010, key research participants)
(19) Project of European Union's Framework: Range enclosure on the Tibetan Plateau of China: Impacts on pastoral livelihoods, marketing, livestock productivity and rangeland biodiversity. (INCO: 032350, 2007-2010, key research participants)
(20) The eleventh-five national key technology R&D program: Native grassland efficient utilization and forage provided in one full year technology. (No. 2007BAD63B03, 2008-2010, key research participants)
(21) GEF/WB Project (GXPDP): The relation between rehabilitation of degraded grassland and carbon sequestration. (No. 052456 CHA-GS-Y-4, 2007-2009, key research participants)
(22) The project of three rivers resource ecological development of China state development and reform commission. Studies and demonstration on degraded meadow restoration mechanism, the balance between forage and livestock, grassland sustaining utilized model. (2005-2007, key research participants)
(23) The project of the national natural foundation of China: Studies on ideal of ‘Black soil type’ degraded alpine grassland renovation and new technology in the headwater area of Yangtze and Yellow Rivers. (No. 30371021, 2004-2006, key research participants)
(24) The project of the national natural foundation of China: Studies on biodiversity of soil microorganism about alpine grassland in West Qilian Mountains. (No. 30471232, 2005-2007, research participants)
(25) Hundreds-talent program, Chinese Academy of Science: Studies on biological geochemistry of alpine grassland. (2003-2006, key research participants)
(26) The project of the national natural foundation of China: Studies on biodiversity about desert grassland of the core production region of Zhongwei Goat in Ningxia. (No.39960052, 2001-2003, key research participants)
International journal’s publications (* corresponding author)
(1) Zhang, R., Bai, Y.F., Zhang, T., Henkin, Z., Degen, A.A., Jia, T.H., Guo, C.C, Long, R.J., Shang, Z.H.* 2019. Driving factors that reduce soil carbon, sugar, and microbial biomass in degraded alpine grassland. Rangeland Ecology & Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2018.10.001.
(2) Shang, Z.H.*, Cao, J.J., Degen, A.A., Zhang, D.W., Long, R.J. 2019. A four year study in a desert land area on the effect of irrigated, cultivated land and abandoned cropland on soil biological, chemical and physical properties. Catena. 175:1-9.
(3) Shang, Z.H.* 2018. Requiring more empirical studies in ecology: a comparison of sample size in meta-analysis of ecology and medicine. Acta Ecologica Sinica. 38:108-110.
(4) Guo, N., Wang, A.D., Degen, A.A., Deng, B., Shang, Z.H.*, Ding, L.M., Long, R.J. 2018. Grazing exclusion increases soil CO2 emission during the growing season in alpine meadows on the Tibetan Plateau. Atmospheric Environment. 174:92-98.
(5) Rafiq, M.K., Joseph, S.D., Li, F., Bai, Y.F., Shang, Z.H.*, Rawal, A., Hook, J.M., Munroe, P.R., Donne, S., Taherymoosavi, S., Mitchell, D.R.G., Pace, B., Mohammed, M., Horvat, J., Marjo, C.E., Wagner, A. Wang, Y.L., Ye, J., Long, R.J. 2017. Pyrolysis of attapulgite clay blended with yak dung enhances pasture growth and soil health: Characterization and initial field trials. Science of the Total Environment. 607-608:184-194.
(6) Shang, Z. H.*, Cao, J. J., Guo, R. Y., Henkin, Z., Ding, L. M., Long, R. J., Deng, B. 2017. Effect of enclosure on soil carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus of alpine desert rangeland. Land Degradation & Development. 28:1166-1177.
(7) Shang, Z.H.*, Hou, Y., Li, F., Guo, C.C., Jia, T.H., Degen, A.A., White, A., Ding, L.M., Long, R.J. 2017. Inhibitory action of allelochemicals from Artemisia nanschanica to control Pedicularis kansuensisi, an annual weed of alpine grasslands. Australia Journal of Botany. 65(4) 305-314.
(8) Shang, Z.H*., White, A., Degen, A., Long, R.J. 2016. Role of Tibetan women in carbon balance in the alpine grasslands of the Tibetan plateau-a review. Nomadic People. 20(1):108-122.
(9) Shang, Z.H.*, Yang, S.H., Wang, Y.L., Shi, J.J., Ding, L.M., Long, R.J. 2016. Soil seed bank and its relation with above-ground vegetation along the degraded gradients of alpine meadow. Ecological Engineering. 90:268-277
(10) Shang, Z.H.*, Hou, Y.C., Pan, D.F., Yang, S.H., Shi, J.J., Ding, L.M., Long, R.J. 2015. Recruitment of seedlings versus ramets as affected by pasture degradation in alpine meadows and the implications for ecological restoration. Plant Ecology & Diversity. 8(4):547-557.
(11) Wu, G. L., Shang, Z.H*., Zhu, Y. J., Ding, L. M., Wang, D. 2015. Species-abundance-seed-size patterns within a plant community affected by grazing disturbance. Ecological Applications. 25(3):848-855.
(12) Shang, Z.H.*, Cao, J. J., Guo, R. Y., Long, R. J., Deng, B. 2014. The response of soil organic carbon and nitrogen 10 years after returning cultivated alpine steppe to grassland by abandonment or reseeding. Catena. 119:28-34.
(13) Shang, Z.H.*, Gibb, M. J., Leiber, F., Ismail, M., Ding, L. M., Guo, X. S., Long, R. J. 2014. The sustainable development of grassland-livestock systems on the Tibetan plateau: problems, strategies and prospects. The Rangeland Journal. 36(3): 267-296.
(14) Shang, Z.H.*, Feng, Q.S., Wu, G.L., Ren, G.H., Long, R.J. 2013. Grasslandification has significant impacts on soil carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus of alpine wetlands on the Tibetan Plateau. Ecological Engineering. 58,170‐1979.
(15) Shang, Z.H.*, Deng, B., Ding, L. M., Ren, G. H., Xin, G. S., Liu, Z. Y., Wang, Y. L., Long, R. J. 2013. The effect of three years of fencing enclosure on soil seed banks and the relationship with above-ground vegetation of degraded alpine grasslands of the Tibetan plateau. Plant and Soil. 364:229-244.
(16) Shang, Z.H.*, Yang, S.H., Shi, J.J., Wang, Y.L., Long, R.J. 2013. Seed rain and its relationship with above-ground vegetation of degraded Kobresia meadows. Journal of Plant Research. 126(1):63-72.
(17) Shang, Z.H., Cao, J.J., Guo, R.Y., Long, R.J. 2012. Effects of cultivation and abandonment on soil carbon content of sub-alpine meadows, northwest China. Journal of Soils and Sediments. 12(6):826-834.
(18) Shang, Z.H.*, Hou, Y., Long, R.J. 2012. Chemical composition of essential oil of Artemisia nanschanica Krasch. from Tibetan plateau. Industrial Crops and Products. 40:35-38.
(19) Shang, Z.H.*, Xu, S.H. 2012. The primary allelopathic testing of Pedicularis kansuensis (Scrophulariaceae) on seed germination and seedling growth of two native grasses on the Tibetan plateau. Pyton, International Journal of Experimental Botany. 81:75-79.
(20) Shang, Z.H., Gibb, M., Long, R.J. 2012. Effect of snow disasters on livestock farming in some rangeland regions of China and mitigation strategies – a review. The Rangeland Journal. 34:89-101.
(21) Shang, Z.H.*, Tang, Y., Long, R.J. 2011. Allelopathic effect of Aconitum pendulum (Ranunculaceae) on seed germination and seedlings of five native grass species in the Tibetan plateau. Nordic Journal of Botany. 29(4):488-494.
(22) Shang, Z.H., Ma, Y.S., Long, R.J., Ding, L.M. 2008. Effect of fencing, artificial-seeding and abandonment on vegetation composition and dynamics of ‘black soil land’ in the headwaters of the Yangtze and the Yellow Rivers (HAYYR) of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Land degradation & Development. 19(5):554-563.
(23) Shang, Z.H., Long, R.J. 2007. Formation causes and recovery of the ‘Black Soil Type’ degraded alpine grassland in Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, Front. Agric. China. 1(2): 197-202.
(24) Zhou, J.W., Liu, H., Zhong, C.L., Degen, A.A., Yang, G., Zhang, G., Qian, J.L., Wang, W.W., Hao, L.Z., Qiu, Q., Shang, Z.H., Guo, X.S., Ding, L.M., Long, R.J. 2018. Apparent digestibility, rumen fermentation, digestive enzymes and urinary purine derivatives in yaks and Qaidam cattle offered forage-concentrate diets differing in nitrogen concentration. Livestock Science. 208: 14-21.
(25) Liu P.P., Dong Q.M., Liu S.J., Degen A., Zhang J.J., Qiu Q., Jing X.P., Shang Z.H., Zheng W.M., Ding L.M. 2018. Postpartum oestrous cycling resumption of yak cows following different calf weaning strategies under range conditions. Animal Science Journal, 89:1492-1530.
(26) Zhou, J.W., Mi, J.D., Degen, A.A., Ding, L.M., Guo, X.S., Shang, Z.H., Wang, H.C., Long, R.J. 2017. Urinary purine derivatives excretion, rumen microbial nitrogen synthesis and the efficiency of utilization of recycled urea in Tibetan and fine-wool sheep. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 227:24-31.
(27) Zhang, J.J., Qiu, Q., Shang, Z.H., Liu, S.J, Degen, A., Li, S.S, Yan, Q., Wang, W.W., Jing, X.P., Bai, Y.F., Ding, L.M. 2018. Effect of supplemental dietary slow-release urea on growth performance and physiological status of dairy heifers. Animal Science Journal. 89:966-971.
(28) Zhou, J.W., Zhong, C.L., Liu, H., Degen, A.A., Titgemeyer, E.C., Ding, L.M., Shang, Z.H., Qiu, Q., Long, R.J. 2017. Comparison of nitrogen utilization and urea kinetics between yaks (Bos grunniens) and indigenous cattle (Bos taurus). Journal of Animal Science. 95:4600-4612.
(29) Rafiq, M.K., Bachmann, R.T., Rafiq, M.T., Shang, Z.H., Joseph, S., Long, R.J. 2016. Influence of Pyrolysis Temperature on Physico-Chemical Properties of Corn Stover (Zea mays L.) Biochar and Feasibility for Carbon Capture and Energy Balance. PLoS ONE 11(6): e0156894.
(30) Ding, L.M., Chen, J.Q., Degen, A.A., Qiu, Q., Liu, P.P., Dong, Q.Q.M., Shang, Z.H., Zhang, J.J., Liu, S.J. 2016. Growth performance and hormonal status during feed restriction and compensatory growth of Small-Tail Han sheep in China. Small Ruminant Research. 144:191-196.
(31) Cui, G.X., Degen, A.A., Wei, X.X., Zhou, J.W., Ding, L.M., Shang, Z.H., Wei, X.H., Long, R.J. 2016. Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacities and fatty acids profiles of 18 alpine plants available as forage for yaks on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Rangeland Journal. 38(4) 373-380.
(32) Cui, G.X., Yuan, F., Degen, A.A., Liu, S.M., Zhou, J.W., Shang, Z.H., Ding, L.M., Mi, J.D., Wei, X.H., Long, R.J. 2016. Composition of the milk of yaks raised at different altitudes on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. International Dairy Journal. 59:29-35.
(33) Cui, G.X., Wei, X.H., Degen, A.A., Wei, X.X., Zhou, J.W., Ding, L.M., Shang, Z.H., Liu, S.M., Long, R.J. 2016. Trolox-equivalent antioxidant capacity and composition of five alpine plant species growing at different elevations on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Plant Ecology & Diversity. 994):387-396.
(34) Fraser, L.H., Pither, J., Jentsch, A., Sternberg, M., Zobel,M., Askarizadeh, D., Bartha, S., Beierkuhnlein, C., Ennett, J.A., Bittel, A., Boldgiv, B., Boldrini, I.I, Bork, E., Brown, L., Cabido, M., Cahill, J., Carlyle, C.N., Campetella, G., Chelli, S., Cohen, O., Csergo, A-M., Díaz, S., Enrico, L., Ensing, D., Fidelis, A., Fridley, J.D., Foster, B., Garris, H., Goheen, J.R., Henry, HA.L., Hohn, M., Jouri, M.H., Klironomos, J., Koorem, K., Lawrence-Lodge, R., Long, R.J., Manning, P., Mitchell, R., Moora, M., Müller, S.C., Nabinger, C., Naseri, K., Overbeck, G.E., Palmer, T.M., Parsons, S., Pesek, M., Pillar, V.D., Pringle, R.M., Roccaforte, K., Schmidt, A., Shang, Z.H., Stahlmann, R., Stotz, G.C., Sugiyama, S-I., Szentes, S., Thompson, D., Tungalag, R., Undrakhbold, S., van Rooyen, M., Wellstein, C., Wilson, Z.B., Zupo, T. 2015. Worldwide evidence of a unimodal relationship between productivity and plant species richness. Science. 349：302-305.
(35) Wang, D., Liu, Y., Shang, Z-H., Tian, F-P., Wu, G-L., Chang, X-F., Warrington, D. 2015. Effects of grassland conversion from cropland on soil respirtion on the semi-arid Loess Plateau, China. 43(7):1052-1057.
(36) Ding L.M., Chen J.Q., Long R.J., Gibb M.J., Wang L., Sang C., Mi J.D., Zhou J.W., Liu P.P., Shang Z.H., Guo X.S., Qiu Q., Marquardt S. 2015. Blood hormonal and metabolite levels in grazing yak steers undergoing compensatory growth. Animal Feed science and Technology. 209:30-39.
(37) Ding L.M., Wang Y.P., Brosh A., Chen J.Q., Gibb M.J., Shang Z.H., Guo X.S., Mi J.D., Zhou J.W., Wang H.C., Qiu Q., Long R.J. 2014. Seasonal heat production and energy balance of grazing yaks on the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 198:83-93.
(38) Guo, X.S., Long, R.J., Kreuzer, M., Ding, L.M., Shang, Z.H., Zhang, Y., Yang, Y., Cui, G.X. 2014. Importance of functional ingredients in yak milk derived food from alpine region on health of Tibetan nomads living under high altitude stress. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 54:292‐302.
(39) Ren, G.H., Shang, Z.H., Long, R.J., Hou, Y., Deng, B. 2013. The relationship of vegetation and soil differentiation during the formation of black‐soil‐type degraded meadows in the headwater of the Qinghai‐Tibetan plateau, China. Environmental Earth Science. 69:235‐45
(40) Shi, X.M., Li, X.G., Li, C.T., Zhao, Y., Shang, Z.H., Ma, Q.F. 2013. Grazing exclusion decreases soil C storage at an alpine grassland of the Qinghai‐Tibetan plateau. Ecological Engineering. 57:183‐187
(41) Ding, L., Wang, Y.P., Kreuzer, M., Guo, X.S., Mi, J.D., Gou, Y.J., Shang, Z.H., Zhang, Y., Wang, H.C., Long, R.J. 2013. Seasonal variations in the fatty acid profile of milk from yaks grazing on the Qinghai‐Tibetan plateau. Journal of Dairy Research. 80:410‐417.
(42) Ren, G.H., Deng, B., Shang, Z.H., Hou, Y., Long, R.J. 2013. Plant communities and soil variations along a successional gradient in an alpine wetland on the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Ecological Engineering. 61:110-116.
(43) Limbu, D.K., Koirala, M., Shang, Z.H. 2013. Total carbon storage in Himalaya rangeland of Milke-Jaljale area, Eastern Nepal. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology A. 3:775-781.
(44) Yu, X.J., Xu, C.L., Wang, F., Shang, Z.H., Long, R.J. 2013. Levels of germinable seed in topsoil and Yak dung on an alpine meadow on the North-East Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. 12(12):2243-2249.
(45) Yu, X.J., Wang, F., Shang, Z.H., Long, R.J. 2012. Recovery and germinability of seeds ingested by yaks and Tibetan sheep could have important effects on the population dynamics of alpine meadow plants on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. The Rangeland Journal. 34(3) 249-255.
(46) Guo, X.S., Ding, L.M., Long, R.J., Qi, B., Shang Z.H., Lian. M.L. 2012. Changes of chemical composition to high altitude result in Kobresia littledalei growing in alpine meadow of the Tibet Plateau with high feeding values to local herbivores. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 173:189-193.
(47) Limbu, D.K., Koirala, M., Shang, Z.H. 2012. A survey of Himalayan rangeland weeds in Tinjure-Milke-Jaljale area, eastern Neplal. Nepalese Journal of Bioscience. 2:24-30.
(48) Limbu, D., Koirala, M., Shang, Z.H. 2012. A checklist of angiospermic flora of Tinjure-Milke-Jaljale, Eastern Nepal. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology. 13(2):87-96.
(49) Xin, G.S., Long, R.J., Guo, X.S., Irvine, J., Ding, L.M., Ding, L.L., Shang, Z.H. 2011. Blood mineral status of grazing Tibetan sheep in the Northeast of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Livestock Science. 136:102-107.
(50) Feng, R.Z., Long, R.J., Shang, Z.H., Ma, Y.S., Dong, S.K., Wang, Y.L. 2010. Establishment of Elymus natans imprves soil quality of a heavily degraded alpine meadow in Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, China. Plant and Soil. 327:403-411.
(51) Sun, T., Shang, Z.H., Liu, Z.Y., Long, R.J. 2010. Nutrient composition of four species of grasshoppers from alpine grasslands in the Qilian Mountain of the Tibetan Plateau, China. Philipp Agric Scientist. 93(1):97-103.
(52) Ding, L. M., Long, R. J., Shang, Z.H. 2008. Feeding behaviour of yaks on spring, transitional, summer and winter pasture in the alpine region of the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 111:373-390.
(53) Long, R.J., Ding, L.M., Shang, Z.H., Guo, X.S. 2008. The yak grazing system on the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau and its status. The Rangeland Journal. 30(2):241-246.
(54) Ding, L.M., Long, R.J., Wang, C.H., Shang, Z.H. 2006. Grazing behaviour of lactating and non-lactating yaks in the summer season of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Israel Journal of Ecology & Evolution. 52:141-149.
(1) Squires, V. R., Shang, Z.H., Ariapour, A. 2017. Rangelands along the Silk Road: Transformative Adaptation under Climate and Global Change. NOVA PRESS, N.Y.
(2) Squires, V. R., Shang, Z.H., Ariapour, A. 2017. Chapter 1. Transformative Adaptation under Climate and Global Change along the Silk Road: Challenges and Potentials . In: Victor R. Squires (ed) Rangelands along the Silk Road: Transformative Adaptation under Climate and Global Change. NOVA PRESS, N.Y. 3-16.
(3) Shang, Z.H., Zhang, R., Degen, A., Long, R.J. 2017. Chapter 5. Rangelands and Grasslands in the Tibetan Plateau of China: Ecological Structure and Function at the Top of the World. In: Victor R. Squires (ed) Rangelands along the Silk Road: Transformative Adaptation under Climate and Global Change. NOVA PRESS ,N.Y. 65-101.
(4) Squires, V. R., Shang, Z.H., Ariapour, A. 2017. Chapter 17. Unifying Perspectives: Future Problems and Prospects for People and the Natural Resource base on which they Depend . In: Victor R. Squires (ed) Rangelands along the Silk Road: Transformative Adaptation under Climate and Global Change. NOVA PRESS ,N.Y. 344-357.
(5) Shang, Z.H., Dong, Q.M., Degen, A., Long, R.J. 2016. Chapter 8. Ecological Restoration on Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau: Problems, Strategies and Prospects. In: Victor R. Squires (ed) Ecological Restoration: Global Challenges, Social Aspects and Environmental Benefits. NOVA PRESS ,N.Y. 161-176.
(6) Long, R.J., Shang, Z.H., Li, X.G., Jiang, P.A., Jia, H.T., Squires, V. 2010. Carbon sequestration and the implications for rangeland management. In: Victor Squires, Hua Limin, Zhang Degang, Li Guolin Editors, Towards Sustainable Use of Rangelands in North-West China. Springer. 127-146.
(7) Long, R.J., Shang, Z.H., Ding, L.M., Guo, X.S. 2011. Adaptation to climate change through an integrated rangeland ecosystem management strategy in the cold desert of Northwest Tibet, China. In: Global Change, Biodiversity and Livelihoods in Cold Desert Region of Asia. Edited by K.G. Saxena, Luohui Liang, Xian Xue. Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, India. 273-278.
(8) Long, R.J., Shang, Z.H., Guo, X.S., Ding, L.M. 2009. Case Study 7: Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau Rangelands. In: Victor R. Squires et al., edited. Rangeland Degradation and Recovery in China’s Pastoral Lands. CABI, UK. 184-196